The current New Moon cycle began June 23, 2017 at 7:31 p.m. MDT at 02 degrees Cancer 47′. This cardinal water sign, Cancer, is ruled by the Moon, so expect highly sensitive feelings, heightened intuition, be open to receive, and family issues to be dealt with.
|Full Rainbow, Okotoks, AB June 16, 2017
Both the Moon and Cancer rule the 4th House within the birth chart, from the natural wheel of the Zodiac. The 4th House is about the home of our early childhood, the home we live in now, the nurturance received as children from our Mothers/mother figures, and how we, in turn, nurture ourselves daily now.
Each New Moon signals the Moon and Sun sitting in the same place in the sky. Due to the Sun’s glowing rays, we don’t see the Moon until the Crescent Moon phase – which began today, June 27th, at 2:01 a.m. MDT. Tonight we shall see that crescent of Light struggling to be released out of whatever Darkness has hidden it from view. For we humans, this phase of the Moon brings forth an Inner struggle – something that our Ego-Self is reluctant to release and let go of. Hence the Struggle between the Old Self and the New Self that is emerging – our truest self revealed more and more each Moon cycle. Hence the Moon cycles bring forth opportunity for self-evolution, if we allow it!
The themes of Cancer, the cardinal water sign, bring forth something NEW to be initiated (along with the waxing of the New Moon to Full Moon) in the areas of:
- Home Life / Family – any unresolved issues from your early childhood will be showing up to be felt, embraced and dealt with – or not. Interestingly, the opposite sign of Cancer is Capricorn (Winter Solstice December 21st) and here is where, during our Christmas celebrations as family gatherings commence, we also feel the pull from Cancer’s sensitivities at this time of year too! Always be aware of the opposite signs of yourself. When you sit in opposition to yourself – what do you see? What do you feel? What is your intuition telling you? What Inner Evolution is required for true self-growth? This is your internal frame of reference – for those who look to others for self-reflection vs. inner reflection of self.
- Safety – here protecting self or others from harm – feelings-wise – comes into play. Hence the moodiness that comes to the surface as the Sun enters Cancer (Summer Solstice June 20th at 10:24 p.m. MDT) until it enters Leo (July 22nd at 9:16 a.m. MDT) and now with the Moon joining in, ruler of Cancer, expect plenty of emotional connections and eruptions to feel your way through – yours and others around you. Cancer also rules financial security, wanting to feel that you belong somehow, and the tenacity that comes with sticking with it for the long haul – no matter the family or members that make up that family. We can also be over-protective of our children, family members and soul family members. Possessiveness can be a Shadow issue of Cancer.
- Growth – the process of training and practicing something NEW stems from our early childhood conditioning. How much of that have you freed yourself from that doesn’t sit with who you truly are? How much are you still clinging to that prevents you from moving forward within your True Self, heart-guided and heart-centred? Here is where we nurture new beginnings – emotionally, intuitionally, and open ourselves up to RECEIVE heartfully from others. Risk creates growth. Without risk, we become stagnant, bitter and angry. Or depressed.
- Caring/Caretaking – here these skills are highlighted. Compassion and forgiveness go hand-in-hand with Cancer – within Self and with Others in our life. To realize that everyone is loving the best they can, at any given moment in time. Be compassionate about other’s failings or fears to take a leap of faith, to begin something new and untried. You may love jumping into the Unknown. If someone else is hesitant, support – don’t push or bully. For some of us we need more TIME to gather the courage to leap into the intimate details that are relationships – within family and without. Use empathy, care for one another’s feelings, allow yourself, and others. to BE vulnerable! Only then will you experience true intimacy!
- Feelings & Moods – here’s where the Moon’s rulership brings forth a tidal wave of emotion and deeply felt feelings. Do you run and hide or do you embrace, in the moment, how you truly feel? Do you use alcohol, drugs, food, exercise, fantasy/fiction or shopping or gambling to avoid how you’re TRULY feeling? How often? What are you afraid of? Falling into the depths of emotional pain? Drowning within them? Never coming back up for air? The sooner we FEEL the emotions, EXPRESS them, be HONEST about them with Self and Others – the sooner the tsunami of feeling abates. Leaving us with new Self-evolution, compassion and forgiveness and love. And yes, vulnerability! Be tender with yourself and your family members at this time. Try it on for size! Be aware of YOUR NEEDS and the needs of others especially during this Moon cycle!
- Nurturance – comes from feeling supported by others. Allow yourself to RECEIVE this support – from humans, your pets, your angels/Higher Self/God. And support others through their down times. Food is nurturance – yet when does it become emotional eating? What does food replace in your life? Do you know? How does food support you vs. people? Or do you believe “I can do it all by myself!” therefore not allowing others to support you? Hhhmmm….isolation breeds more isolation, loneliness and depression. Yet feasting and breaking bread with family/soul family and friends is amazingly wonderful and fun!
- Excessive Self-Protection – according to Jan Spiller’s New Moon Astrology, here is where the over-protectiveness, being clingy, needy, insecure, overly cautious behaviour, fear of being rejected, and lack of definite goals (goals – one of Capricorn’s specialties! Remember that opposite sign) FOR SELF come into play! This is where we LOOK TO OTHERS to do the work we need to do for Self! How does that help YOU evolve? Being helpless and depressed and ‘o woe is me’…doesn’t help you with being your True Authentic Self. The Moon and its cycle is all about our daily habits – what are you doing to support yourself and protect yourself? Do you assert it Within, and FOR your special self, or do you think someone else is going to come by and do it for you? How do I Love ME? Let me count the ways…
- Physically, Cancer rules: the breasts and chest cavity, the pancreas (sugar anyone?), the stomach, stomach gas and ulcers, and tumors. These are the areas of our physical body that will be talking to us if we aren’t loving our emotions, loving self, FIRST, in order to be there for our Others. If you aren’t supporting YOU, how can you support Others? Some of us do support only Others and don’t do what we NEED for ourselves! Sound familiar? TAKE TIME OUT for YOU, feel those feelings, hug yourself, talk about them with close family, know that you are NOT alone, feel supported (by you AND others) and be OPEN to receive Love and Support and Protection along the way. It all begins with – well, YOU!
|Moon Globe, Okotoks, AB June 2017
As I look at the chart of the 8 phases of this Moon cycle I see the following:
- All 4 of the Cardinal signs will be highlighted – therefore prepare for Initiating the NEW at New Moon, 1st QTR, Full Moon and Last QTR Moon phases! Know that the New Moon within Cancer heralds an emotional month all month long…be prepared with compassion and empathy and forgiveness.
- We have 2 of the Fixed signs highlighted – to deal with the details along the way, to see how stubborn we can be about CHANGE (!) during the Crescent Moon and Gibbous Moon phases! As of today until 5:52 p.m. June 30th we move through the Crescent Moon phase of the Ego NOT wanting to SEE more Light on that particular subject thank you very much! Which subject would that be? Fixed Fire of Leo – where we can be more in the Shadow of Leo – King or Queen of the Mountain/kitchen/home or Look At ME! Aren’t I fabulous? Don’t you just LOVE ME? Or leading via the mind vs. the heart. Or all work and no play makes ?? a dull boy/girl! Not allowing your Inner Child out to PLAY, to CREATE, to LOVE, to LEAD in some regard. How long has it been since you last laughed so hard you peed your pants? Believe me – it is such a cathartic release – and one that keeps you laughing for days and weeks ahead!
- The Mutable signs, for 2 phases – where we allow ourselves to go with the flow, to consider others in our decisions and goals, where we show up despite those Unexpected Instances that change the plan, Stan! Look for this during the upcoming Disseminating Moon and Balsamic Moon phases.
|Double Rainbow, Okotoks, AB June 2017
Speaking of the Balsamic Moon phase – I haven’t told you of the 3rd Venus/Moon Gate of Communication we moved through during the last Moon cycle! This occurred at 4:14 p.m. MDT June 20th – Summer Solstice! Within 14 degrees of Taurus 45′ – ruling the Throat Chakra and where we began to release the distortions therein by Venus/Inanna releasing the double-stranded beaded necklace from their necks – releasing all the ways we no longer communicate the TRUTH and AUTHENTICITY of our BEING! This is what we are all, men and women, dealing with from the Summer Solstice Balsamic Moon phase until the upcoming Balsamic Moon phase of July 19th!
Talk about a highly sensitive and moody Moon cycle to navigate through via communication distortions that no longer serve us! If you cannot be truthful with your Self, how can you be truthful with Others? Each Moon cycle beckons us to deal with daily habits that no longer support us. Is it now time for YOU to let go of communication issues that no longer serve you? Are you ready to LET IT ALL GO? Some aspects of communication is changing always saying YES to other’s needs to NO! Boundaries are key this Moon cycle too! BE HONEST. OWN WHAT YOU NEED. THEN COMMUNICATE IT. Lovingly, with compassion, empathy and SUPPORT Self first – with love, compassion, empathy and forgiveness.
Having ALL 4 Cardinal signs within half the Moon phases this Moon cycle means 4 times the opportunity for Self-Evolution leading to Soul-Evolution! Hence why I LOVE Astrology! The cycles of the luminaries and planets alert us to phases and opportunities for Inner Growth – and Cancer is all about GROWTH!
If you have yet to experience a true Astrological reading – call me or email me to book your appointment today: 587.437.3520 or email@example.com – you’re worth it!
Posted by: Laurie Rae Rezanoff, Astrologer | Teacher | Writer | Speaker
Photo Credits: all nature pictures taken by Laurie Rae Rezanoff